Vaser Lipo is a sought-after cosmetic procedure for both men and women. This isn’t surprising as its end result is a shapelier body with less fat and more definition, a desirable thing indeed in modern society. But like all cosmetic surgery procedures, not everybody can undergo the procedure.
Take note that it isn’t a weight loss procedure. Instead, it’s performed with one or two of these results in mind:
- Lose a few inches around the waist, hips or thighs
- Add definition to the body even without weight loss
- Tighten loose skin around the waist, hips or thighs after an effective weight loss program
People Who Can Undergo the Procedure
You must discuss your suitability as a patient for Vaser Lipo with your cosmetic surgeon since it carries risks even for healthy individuals. In fact, you will not be provided with the liposuction services until a thorough medical and physical examination have been performed. You must then be patient, from the initial consultation to the follow-up check-up, because it isn’t something that can be performed haphazardly.
Doctors consider the following criteria when evaluating the suitability of patients for the procedure.
- Of legal age and, thus, able to provide consent (Doctors aren’t keen on performing the procedure on minors for obvious reasons)
- Within their target weight and follow a healthy lifestyle (Liposuction per se won’t eliminate the excess weight and it isn’t a substitute for healthy lifestyle habits. It will neither aid in weight loss nor aid in weight management afterwards – only healthy diet and exercise habits can achieve these goals)
- Willing to continue a healthy lifestyle after the procedure for the abovementioned reasons. (If you eat to your heart’s content and be a couch potato, the excess fat will still come back, perhaps come back double their previous amount)
- With fairly strong skin tone (The liposuction will affect the skin tone afterwards since the underlying fat was removed)
You must obviously be in good health before you can undergo Vaser Lipo. If you have underlying medical issues, you may or may not be a suitable candidate.
Vaser Lipo is also not a one-size-fits-all procedure! Your unique needs and wants will be taken into account to determine the treatment areas and the amount of treatment necessary.
People Who Aren’t Suitable Candidates
And then there are the people who shouldn’t undergo Vaser Lipo no matter their intense desire for it. First and foremost, individuals who aren’t healthy aren’t suitable candidates because they are at greater risk of developing complications. These include people with a medical history of immunodeficiency disorders, seizure disorders, excessive bleeding, cardiac arrhythmias, and pulmonary emboli or deep vein thrombosis.
Always be honest when being asked about your medical history! You may be putting your life in danger and it isn’t worth the risk of a premature death, no matter if you end up with a sexier physique.
Other people who are considered as unsuitable candidates for Vaser Lipo are:
- Those who are taking certain medications, such as NSAIDs, anticoagulants and aspirin, which increase the risk of bleeding;
- Those who are taking medications that inhibit the action of lidocaine including its metabolism;
- Those who believe that Vaser Lipo is the solution to their obesity;
- Those whose skin aren’t elastic enough (poor skin elasticity); and
- Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding
If you’re not a suitable candidate, you shouldn’t despair. Keep in mind that healthy lifestyle habits and body acceptance are always within your control.