Whether you’re considering a liposuction, face-lift, a nose job or reconstructive surgery, there’s a plastic surgeon for that. When you have the right surgeon by your side, you can be assured of a safe surgery and good results. On the other hand, with the wrong surgeon, you could be putting yourself at risk.
Here are 5 things you should look for when you’re in search of a plastic surgeon:
1. Must be board-certified
The right plastic surgeon should be board-certified in plastic surgery. This certification is given by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, which basically tells you he or she has had a minimum of 6 years of surgical training, with at least 2 years dedicated to plastic surgery. He or she has also passed various oral and written exams. And more importantly, that they have demonstrated ethical, skilled and safe surgical practice.
2. Must have a licensed or accredited operating facility
Oftentimes, plastic surgery is done either in the office of the surgeon within a surgical facility or an ambulatory care center. Either way, the facility should be fully accredited, as this ascertains it meets strict standards for safety, proper equipment, surgeon credentials and qualified staff.
3. Must ask you questions
Surgeons, including plastic surgeons, should treat each patient holistically and take into consideration your medical history. A surgeon who does not ask you any questions about your medical history or discuss with you your treatment options is someone you should avoid.
4. Must not oversell additional treatments or procedures
Some procedures enhance or complement other procedures. However, if you’re consulting about liposuction for your thighs and your surgeon also suggests rhinoplasty, find another surgeon.
5. Must make you feel comfortable and at ease
In any surgical operation, complications may arise but you should feel comfortable that the surgeon is fully capable to handle any issues and will take good care of you.
Questions to Ask the Surgeon
There are at least 10 essential questions you should ask to help you decide whether they are a good fit for you:
- 1. Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- 2. How many liposuction procedures have you performed?
- 3. What kinds of results should I expect after undergoing the procedure?
- 4. How long is the recovery time?
- 5. Do you have before and after photos of a similar liposuction procedure?
- 6. What is the scheduling time like for this surgery?
- 7. How much will this procedure cost me? Is financing available?
- 8. What kind of postsurgical care is needed for this particular lipo procedure?
- 9. Can it be combined with other surgeries that can help me achieve my goal?
- 10. Do you require a post-surgery visit? How many and for how long?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Asking the surgeon the right questions is important so you can feel confident about the procedure. Besides, if they are truly looking out for your best interest, they will be happy to answer each and all of your questions.
Questions to ask your surgeon: