You’ve probably heard about it. You’ve seen influencers and even celebrities post about it on their social media pages and blogs. But what exactly is a lip flip?
A lip flip is a procedure that can make your lips look fuller. It doesn’t require surgery. Basically, botulinum toxin is injected into the edges of the lips and mouth corners to relax the upper lip’s surrounding muscles and as a result, making your lip “flip” upward.
The different kinds of botulinum injections
Today, there are two kinds of botulinum injections available. First, there’s Botox which is the most established brand of botulinum toxin. But there’s also others, although not as well-known:
Lip flip vs. lip fillers
Both the lip flip and fillers such as Bellafill make the lips appear fuller. But while a lip flip uses botulinum toxin, lip fillers are dermal fillers, wherein your doctor will inject a part or parts of your lip with hyaluronic acid to add plumpness and volume. You get fuller lips right after the treatment. With a lip flip, on the other hand, your doctor will inject Botox to the upper lip. It takes about a week for your lips to appear more pouty or fuller. It’s believed that you get more natural looking full lips with a lip flip.
Who can get a lip flip?
To be a candidate for a lip flip, you should meet the following criteria:
- You need to have a good overall health.
- You should have realistic expectations of the outcome.
- You should not have any oral infections including cold sores.
People who get a lip flip do so because:
- Fuller lips – When we get older, our lips may get thinner or smaller. This may be due to genetics, sun damage and smoking.
- Dislikes lip augmentation – This surgical procedure can be very expensive and also changes the shape and volume of the lips.
- Improved smile – Some people have a gummy smile so if this is something you can relate to, a lip flip may be able to help.
- Boost confidence – Some people can get a boost of confidence when they have an improved smile.
A lip flip makes your lips look fuller without necessarily making it look thicker. You get natural-looking youthful lips and most people wouldn’t even know you got a treatment for it. The effects of Botox will gradually fade, but on average it lasts between 2-5 months.
Before a lip flip procedure, your doctor will evaluate and take into consideration various factors, including your physical and mental health. You may be asked about your reason for wanting to get a lip flip and what your expectations are of the procedure. It’s not an invasive procedure so you may only be given a topical numbing agent or a nerve block injection. The whole procedure should take only 10 to 20 minutes.
Learn more about Lip Flip here: